One full day trip
to Turda Salt Mine, Turda Gorge and Rimetea village
A day trip to Turda Salt Mine is a must for any visitor
to the region of Cluj - Turda. One of the most important salt
mines in Transylvania, Turda Salt Mine has been known since
ancient times, but it has been put into operation for underground
mining work during the Roman period.
The Salt Mine is mentioned in official documents for the first
time in 1271, when the mine was offered to the Transylvanian
Catholic Church leaders. In the Middle Ages, Turda was one of
the biggest places of salt extraction in entire region. The
salt was extracted as clods, which were then cut by specialist
workers. The mines were lit by candles and tallow rush lights;
explosives were never used for exploitation nor mechanical equipment
used for cutting the salt.
The microclimate in the mine is characterized by yearly variations
of temperature between 11 - 12° C; the average humidity
level inside is 80% and the air pressure is between 747-752
The lack of pathogen bacterium and a moderate air ionization
is therefore favorable to breathing treatments.
By its impressive galleries, long tunnels and mining system,
great acoustics and very healthy microclimate, Turda Salt
Mine is an excellent destination for every tourist.
Another "must-see" is Turda Gorge, just a half
an hour drive from the Salt Mine. A beautiful natural reserve
with a unique landscape, it is 1.5 km long and has almost vertical,
up to 300 m high walls. Turda Gorge is one of the most
popular attractions in the Apuseni Mountains. The gorges are
of special interest because of their morphologic variety: caves,
fossils, towers, and arcades formed by the river's repeated
attempts to penetrate the limestone mountain. The natural reserve
was founded in 1938 and almost 1000 special plants live there.
Also, the entrances of more than 60 caves can be seen on the
Turda Gorge is an excellent place
for free climbing, having more than 100 routes, covering all
difficulty levels. The variety of routes rank Cheile Turzii
as one of the top areas among the climbing sights in Romania.
While here we can either enjoy the stroll inside the gorge and
return the same way, or go on hiking on the canyon's paths.
After hiking the gorge, 30 km away, is Rimetea village,where
we will stop for a great Hungarian lunch. Having a history of
over 1000 years, the vilage of Rimetea is known as Torocko
for the Hungarian comunity who lives here. Soon after eating,
we'll go for a stroll in a village, do some handicrafts shoping
and visit the local Village Museum.
- duration - between 8 and 10 hours;
- validity - thoughout the year;
- minimum persons required - 2.
- 105 euros / person for minimum 2 people;
- 70 euros / person for 3 people;
- 52 euros / person for 4 people;
- 63 euros / person for 5 people;
- 52 euros / person for 6 people;
- 45 euros / person for 7 people;
- 39 euros / person for 8 people;
- 44 - 29 euros / person for 9 - 14 people;
- 30 - 42 euros / person for 15 - 20 people;
- 40 - 27 euros / person for 21 - 31 people;
Note: get over 20% off the total
price by being accommodated at Retro
- transfer and tour Cluj - Turda Salt Mine - Turda Gorge - Rimetea
- Cluj, by car or minibus;
- English, German, Italian or Hungarian speaking guide;
- snack and coffee, in the car; Prices excludes:
- entrance tickets to the Salt Mine, Turda Gorge reservation
or Village Museum in Rimetea;
- the Hungarian lunch in Rimetea village;
- personal expenses.