One day of caving
and hiking in the North Apuseni Mountains
Take this opportunity of exploring the King Forest Mountains
of North -West Romania ! Located 150 km away from Cluj, the
region we're going to explore is one of the largest cave-rezervations
in the South-East Europe.
The tour will include the visit of 2 caves located 4 km hiking
way one from the other, along Cris river valley.
Ungurului Cave - located in Suncuius village, the cave
is suitable for tourist visit due to its large entrance and
interesting palaeontological and archaeological museum open
inside it. Archaeological research undertaken in Ungurului Cave
shows relevant proves attesting the human presence here since
the beginning with the middle Neolitic Age. The objects found
in this cave indicate that the human population were involved
in agricultural, hunting, and fishing activities. The cave also
hosts over 600 bats, of 10 different species, according to the
scientifical researches done in 2001.
Vadu Crisului Cave - located in
the gorge of Cris river valley, has been one of the best studied
caves in Romania. Therefore, the cave has been visited by many
biospeleologists like: Benno Wolf, P.A. Chappuis, R. Jeannel
and E. Racovita. Marked at the entrance by a fine waterfall
which tumbles into the Cris river, the Vadu-Crisului it is composed
of a principal gallery, with a stream for over 800 m length.
Soon after visiting the caves we'll stop for a lunch, visit
the waterfall and go hiking through the forests around.
- duration - between 10 and 12 hours;
- validity - thoughout the year;
- minimum persons required - 2
- what to bring: some warm clothes, hiking shoes and a rain
coat; a torch would be very useful as well;
- 41 euros / person for minimum 2 persons;
- 35 - 38 euros / person for 3 - 4 persons;
- 26 - 31 euros / person for 5 - 7 persons;
- 20 - 22 euros / person for 8 - 11persons;
- 12 - 17 euros / person for 12 - 14 persons;
Note: get 10 euros off the total
price by being accommodated at Retro
- English, German, or Hungarian speaking guide;
- transport to caving area;
- entrance tickets fees and meals;
- personal expenses.